Thursday 16 January 2014

Psychedelic gasses, and kittens

Delphi, Greece

The legendary temple of Apollo at Delphi. This could have been the temple that was built over a crack in the ground which noxious fumes poured out of to get the oracle high and tell people their futures. The temple was freaking enormous. Just look at that little person there on the left. 

Quite a good view. Delphi was rather ruined, as were most Greek ruins (hint in the name), but you can see the ampitheatre clearly still because it's close to the ground anyway. 
Much of the Greek countryside looked like this - dry and rocky. It took a little getting used to, but once you did it was beautiful in its own way. 

One of the many treasuries on he site. As far as I am aware, Athenians kept some money in here for emergency reasons, much the same way I keep a spare five dollars in my bag in case my snapper card is out of money and I need to catch the bus. Much the same, I tell you. 

This, I am told, is the most famous structure in Delphi. I can't remember what it is, but I'm sure it's another temple. To Athena most likely. Lots of rocks lying about. Surely someone could pick them up and try to put it back together a bit more than three measly columns. I'm not complaining, just saying that if they've got them there, why not have a go?
The temple (Tholos according to Wikipedia) was a little way down the road from the other stuff, and along the way we saw some stray kittens playing by the roadside. It was adorable and unexpected. And of course with Greece, there were bees. 

I leave you with a very unflattering photograph of myself, which I am posting because it's quite funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment