Wednesday 29 April 2015

Tory Street (A Local's Guide to Wellington)

People seem to have mixed feelings about this restaurant, but I believe it has improved of late. I remember going a few years back and thought it wasn't the best, but was overall enjoyable.
On our recent visit, we chose the jamon serrano for a starter, which was great. They gave us flat bread to have with it, but I thought it was perfect on its own.
For main, we ordered the special of the day, which was a 'land animal paella' or so I call it. As I'm not a seafood eater, I jump at the mention of a land animal paella, as they are much less common than their oceany brothers.
The dessert was tiramisu (which was above average but not amazing), and a crema catalan, which was something akin to an orangey creme brulee. It was absulutely delicious and I generally don't much like creme brulee.
Instead of the regular sangria, we decided to try 'white sangria', which has citrusy flavours and a base of bubbly. It was okay, but I prefer traditional.

A huge supermarket selling wholesale foods, fresh fruit and pastries, as well as wines and liqueurs, Moore Wilson's is Wellington's go-to destination for haute grocery shopping. In the fresh section, you can drink a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice, sample baked goods from many of the bakeries in the city, get a hunk of cheese or some seasonal vegetables.
The alcohol section in impressive, with a wide range of choices from all over the world. Personally, I've elected to try as many reasonably priced Proseccos as I can before we leave Wellington, and haven't skimped on the French ciders either.

Ozeki
I've been to Ozeki a few times now for birthday parties and leaving dos, and I find their food to be average. I like the spring rolls and the edamame, but let's be honest - it's not difficult to prepare edamame. The service is also a bit lacklustre. 
However, I'm not a big fan of Japanese cuisine anyway, so I may be biased. Don't take my word for it as it seems that many people like it here, so give it a try and decide for yourself. 

Joe's Garage

Hearing of their delicious burgers, I was keen to try Joe's Garage. Unfortunately, I was disappointed by the chicken burger. The chicken itself was the best part but then there was a huge amount of very creamy additions, including cheese and too much aioli, that I found it needed something acidic to cut through all the creaminess. The fries were underseasoned and the chocolate milkshake was average. 
That being said, many people say they love it for the burgers, so take my review with a grain of salt. There were a lot of children so be prepared for that. (This is probably good news if you are someone who has these strange things called children.)


Prefab (on Jessie Street)
I had been intending to come here for some time after hearing coworkers discuss 'the new place on Jessie Street', but only recently got around to it as I don't frequent the area. It's been two years since it opened so I'm definitely late to the party. Fashionably late? Decidedly unfashionably late. 
I'm not quite sure what the logic behind the decoration in Prefab is, as it seems industrial and almost harsh. All the Acme & Co branding just made me think of Loony Toons, which I'm not sure was the intention.
Even the cutlery had a thick feel to it, making you realise that you are just using a tool for eating food. That being said, the waffle with fresh berries was delicate and tasty, and Prefab is a welcome addition to the Tory Street area.

No comments:

Post a Comment