Thursday 30 April 2015

Dixon Street (A Local's Guide to Wellington)

I'm just going to come right out and say it: Dixon is a great street. It's like Con Air in that it's got everything. It's a smorgasbord. And what better way to begin a smorgasbord than with the salad?

Aro Park
Admittedly not as green as some parks, this one fits nicely between Dixon and Manñers Street. Birds like it here, as do men who enjoy shouting things at passersby. 

The next logical step in following the delights of a smorgasbord is to take a step away from the table entirely. There are a couple of streets that branch off from Dixon, and although it's been a while since I've capered down the alley of Eva St, Pizza Pomodoro is an excellent choice for takeaway Italian pizza. It would be criminal of me not to mention it. 

A Turkish restaurant with good sized meals, Cafe Pasha once had to fill large boots being the only Turkish place in Wellington after Cafe Istanbul disappeared from Cuba Street. Now the famous cafe is back, belly dancer included. We all missed her. 
But while Cafe Pasha is lesser known, I'd say the fare is comparable. They give you so much tasty food that I can easily make two meals out of one, which makes my frugal heart sing. La la la. Like that. Not terribly melodic, I know.

To be honest, I'm not sure why people like this place. The food isn't great, and yet it's always busy. The decor is interesting, but that's about all it has going for it. There's no reason to go here when there are so many better options nearby. (And if you like Mexican food, go to Viva Mexico on Left Bank Arcade. Jeez.)

A popular place to get a weekday lunch, the deli has a wide selection of cabinet foods available at affordable prices. I've only had a muffin and a coffee here so I'm no authority on the range on offer, but it's got to be popular for a reason right? (Ahem Mexico ahem.)

Tucked away upstairs next door to Dreamgirls, this is one sweet soda joint. Not only do they make sodas to be enjoyed there, they also sell the syrups for you to make your own at home. A few good ones are the cherry and pomegranate, the raspberry and lemon, and the orange dandy. 
It's not just the sodas that keep me coming back; it's the milkshakes and the shoestring fries as well. While my favourite is the Earl Grey milkshake, I have also partook in the Chocolate Fish milkshake and the Apple Pie milkshake. A bowl of lemon salt fries balance out the sweet drinks perfectly with their tangy salty friedness.
Just like a smorgasbord, I reserved the best for last to leave you with a good taste in your mouth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment